Friday, March 27, 2009

12 Weeks 5 Days

Another morning of many appointments!

First we met with the genetic counselor who went over the details of the 1st Trimester Screening tests. Then we headed over for our ultrasound.

We were lucky and had another great technician! The baby was quiet and still for the first minute which allowed her to get all the measurements she needed. Everything was measuring great, and overall the baby is measuring within one day of our due date. She was looking to measure the fluid behind the neck and measuring the nasal bone. Both measured normal.

Once the scan really started the baby kept flipping over on its back and was all over the place. This baby wasn't moving like Aidan did when we saw him at this age - Aidan looked like he was doing jumping jacks and was all over the place! This baby likes to just curl up into a ball over and over and puts its hands up by the face. Different personalities!

The technician switched the ultrasound over to 3D for us again - which as I mentioned before they don't normally do this early because the babies look so alien-like,haha (as you will see below). It was so cool to see the baby in 3D action again. Long legs like Aidan!




This one reminds me of an alien peering through a window! A cute baby alien of course ;)


Baby is about 2 and 1/2 inches now.




So many changes from 2 weeks ago!


After the ultrasound we met with the peri, Dr. Boyle, who works with Dr. Van Eerden. He said everything was looking good. These tests, however, cannot tell us if this baby will have Lissencephaly like Aidan does. It will only test us for risk factors in association with other genetic conditions such as Downs Syndrome, Trisomy 18 and such.

After that appointment we headed down for all my lab work to be done. So along with the lab work and the measurements from the ultrasound, the doctors will be able to tell us if we are at risk for any condition with this baby. We should hear more by next week.

Things look promising so far with this pregnancy, and of course I'm always worried about the brain and always wondering if the head size is measuring right. I think I will get more nervous as time goes on, because things were perfect with Aidan at this point too. It wasn't until 20 weeks that we noticed his head was measuring small, and even then no one thought too much of it...

Our next appointment is April 27th. It will be our first attempt at the "big" anatomy ultrasound, and we will probably get a good idea if we are having a brother or sister for Aidan! I will be 17 weeks along then. This pregnancy is going so much faster - probably because I'm in no hurry with this one, haha. I'm trying to soak up all my alone time with Aidan while I can!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...