Tuesday, November 16, 2010

28 Weeks & Good News!

Finally we can relax a little!  Our anxiety level has plummeted after a day at the hospital yesterday!

Jason and I started our day early.  I had to pre-register for the fetal MRI early, and then lots of waiting... Finally I was called back to change and get ready to go into the noisy tunnel.

To prepare for the MRI, all I had to do was take one little Ativan tablet to help baby and I relax.  It was important for us to both sit still during the MRI.  The baby must have cooperated very well because the MRI only took about 40 minutes total.  It was a bit easier to do this time, rather than the first time I did it with baby Tyler.  This time I knew what to except.  I'm not claustrophobic, although I think all people would feel a little uneasy being in such a tight space.  It is the chest band that they put over my belly that I found to be bothersome because it holds your arms down.  I don't like the feeling of being pinned down!  But the radiologist was talked to me during the procedure and time really did fly by!

Now, all we had to do was wait for results!  We were SO ready to hear how baby's brain looked.

Our afternoon was spent with a regular OB check and ultrasound.  Once again, the baby looked great during the scan.  He was so handsome, with his little arm pushed up under his chin.  It made his upper lip stick out.  He looked just like Ty when he was sleeping like that.  Later on, he had his tiny toes up by his eyes - it's always amazing how contorted they can get inside there, and yet they love it!

Baby weighed in at 2 pounds 10 oz - right at the 50th percentile.  His head was measuring 5 days ahead of his due date.  So huge to us!  Overall, I am measuring 1 day ahead of my due date.  After each scan the technicians bring us a copy of the graphs and measurement charts - and we are seeing the head size go up, up, up... So surreal to us!  

The doctor came in, and was of course pleased with the current ultrasound.  But what we really wanted to know was how the MRI turned out.  He went to see if he could get a rush on the dictation of the results.  More waiting :)

Finally the ultrasound tech came in and told us that the doctor wanted to see us in his office.  He wanted us to hear the dictation from the radiologist ourselves (on the voicemail).  So off we went!  I remember asking as we walked along if the doctor had already heard the news... and the tech smiled and said yes.  I thought for sure I'd cry, for sure I'd lose it, as we sat down to listen to the results.  The nurse played the voicemail for us - it was a lot of medical lingo that was not super familiar to us, but at the very end we heard the words we wanted to hear.  The baby's brain was normal for his gestational age!  I didn't cry because I was listening so intently to the message, and then because I was so excited!  It was such an awesome moment!  After a very overwhelming 6 months, we finally had some relief!  

As the weeks went on and we saw great head measurements, we started to wonder if we should still go through with the fetal MRI.  In the end, I think we still needed that reassurance - we needed to know for sure one way or the other so that we could prepare for baby as best as we could.  Finding out that Ty had lissencephaly after his fetal MRI helped us to prepare for his arrival - we were able to set up an awesome birth plan him!   

I'm glad we did the MRI for a few reasons - firstly, we can now have some relief and we will be able to prepare for baby accordingly ;)  And, because if we had to do an MRI for baby, for whatever reason, I feel better doing it while he was safely inside me.  Because if we had to do one after he was born, he'd have to be sedated or put to sleep.  That is the same reason we chose to have Ty's one and only MRI while he was still in my belly.  

We finished the day down in the lab where I had my 1 hour glucose blood draw taken.  I had gestational diabetes with Tyler (not with Aidan), so praying those results come back normal!  Not a fan of poking my fingers all day or having to stick to a diet ;)  

And now for the pictures of our handsome little man - he who will be the best "BIG little brother" ever!

Hello sleeping baby!

Profile.

His little hand under his chin.

That's his foot by his forehead - little toes!

Fat little feet like his brother Ty!

Tellinghuisen nose!

Thank you everyone for sharing in our good news with us - we are so grateful to have so many people supporting us and praying!  No matter what the test results showed, we would love this 'lil guy just as equally and deeply as we love Aidan and Tyler.  All three of our boys are true blessings!!!!

27 comments:

Grammy said...

YeeHaw!!! I am so excited for ya'all!

Rhonda said...

Congratulations! Wonderful news!!! The ultrasound pics are amazing. He sure is flexible...lol. Again, thank you for sharing your blog with the public...I sure needed to hear some good news today!

Ellen said...

Congrats on the great results!

Colleen said...

This is probably the best news I'll hear all week and I don't even know you!!! I am so happy for you and how wonderful your dr was able to get that news for you right away.

Leah Woldt said...

We continue to keep you and your family in our prayers. We are so happy for the great news! And yes, he will be the most loving Big Little Brother EVER! Thanks again for sharing!

Unknown said...

That is amazing news! So happy to hear baby's doing so well!!!!

Jeri said...

i teared up just thinking about your relief!!! congratulations!!!

Kayla said...

Wow...fantastic news! I'm hoping you can now breathe a little easier knowing exactly how to plan for this "big" little guy's arrival. I'll be watching and waiting for updates.

Anonymous said...

Thank God! Thank God!!! I think you can officially be happy now!!
We've all been rooting for you Number 3!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news!! I've been following your family for a while and you are such an inspiration. Bless you all. (so glad you kept your blog public, also!)

Adrienne said...

Great news...So happy for you all...

Adrienne

Flávia said...

That's great news!! I'm very happy for you guys... Enjoy your moment 'cause you deserve all the hapiness you can get!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay thats amazing news guys!!!!!

Catherine said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!! YEAH!!!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

This is the best news! Those pictures are amazing. What a bendable baby! :) I am so excited for you all.

Linda said...

I'm really glad for you all, that's wonderful news! Those pics are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing all three of your boys with us!

patricia said...

That is such good news! I know you can breathe a little easier now and look forward to your new little blessing. Amazing pictures!

Kristin said...

So happy to hear good news!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

What great news! So happy for you and your family!
Can't wait to "meet" him!
Olga from Phoenix

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled with you wonderful news! Those ultrasound pictures are INCREDIBLE! Thank you for sharing your journey with me! Continued thougts and prayers to you and your sweet family!

Kristi- Castle Rock, CO

Crystal in IL said...

Wow! Congrats! I'm totally with you about needing the extra assurance. When I was preggo with my son after having a child with severe CHD I went to maternal fetal and was told everything was perfect but if I wanted they would send me to get a fetal echo. We did the echo and when the cardiologist clapped me on the shoulder and said enjoy your heart healthy baby I lost it. What a moment for us! I'm so happy for your family :) What an amazing blessing and awesome God we serve! Crystal

Anonymous said...

So excited to hear this news!! Thank you so much too for continuing to share your story via public blog. Your story has opened my eyes and I, like everyone else, have fallen in love with your two boys! The newest little guy will be the best Big/Little brother Ever!
Bobbi K.

Anita Johnson said...

It is so evident how much you love your two little guys, but I thank God for your good news that this little one is healthy and growing normally. What a wonderful family awaits him!

MJ said...

Congratulations on the wonderful news. He is a beautiful boy.

Anonymous said...

A HUGE Congrats to you both! Very exciting and reassuring about the news of your newest son, if anyone deserves a perfectly healthy child after all you have been through, its YOU. I am 35 weeks now and our boy is also scanning as 100% normal, it will be kind of weird having a normal baby after all we have gone through with Owen and his liss. At 28 weeks my little tub was measuring 5 lbs, that is a bit scary when they said 34 weeks along, 8 POUNDS?? But the head is normal and I think that is what we are all looking at, I am sure you agree! I am SO happy for you guys and will be waiting anxiously for the news of the newest member of your household! Love, Angela and Owen

Mark and Joella said...

Congratulations!! That is great news! I'm so happy for you guys! Love the pictures of the little guy!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!! How exciting for you to prepare for this little brother!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...