Well, here it is! The year you can hold up your entire hand and say 'I'm five!"
Today - on your birthday - you were able to pick whatever it was you wanted to do, and I genuinely loved each and every moment of it. We don't often get days like this... Days where everything else is put on hold. It's all about fun! And time together. And while I could do without the whole 'growing up so fast' part, for that reason I wish it was your birthday every day. On your big day I push aside the distractions from the messy house, no answering calls I 'have to take' and definitely am not meandering around on any tech device. You want ice cream for breakfast? You got it. Go see a movie before lunch? Yep. Take a trip to the toy store to pick out something cool? Sure! Will I sit with you while we open your new toys & try to figure them out/put them together and open the incredibly childproof/parentproof packages... Yes!! And while of course your brothers' needs are still top of my list, I try my very best not to keep you waiting! You are incredibly patient beyond your years because you recognize your brothers need extra special care, and that care often comes first.
Sometimes I pause to think about the deep impact having 2 special needs brothers will have in your life... It's an every day normal for us, but really, the impact has to be huge.
In the medical setting, when doctors are distinguishing you from your brothers, you are referred to as 'typical' while they are labeled as having profound medical needs. And yes - you are typical. Neuro-typical. Your typical 5 year old.
But let me tell you why you are far from typical in this Mama's eyes...
Typically, in a household with 3 boys, you being the youngest.... You would be rushing to catch up with your big brothers who are just 1 and 2 years older than you. You would be the one trailing behind possibly as the three of you race around the house.
As your brothers sit in their chairs, and you race around the house by your lonesome, you never go more than an hour without stopping to give each brother a toy (it would be tractors if you are playing farm, or cars if you are playing 'car show'). Whatever it may be, you include them.
As I am cleaning the house up I will notice you put a hand on Aidan's leg as you say I love you to him. And it's out of no where. Just because you feel compelled to let Aidan know. And I see you stop what you are doing when you hear Ty holler out, making sure he is okay, before you go about your playing again.
There is nothing 'typical' about having two brothers who cannot engage in any sort of 'play' with you. And yet you find a way to connect with them. They know your voice. They recognize your touch. You are very much a solid trio.
In the picture above you were explaining to Tyler that he was outside. You said 'Can you feel the wind blowing?'. You talked to him about the playground that was right in front of you two. You described it to him. Ty listened to your every word.
In this picture of Aidan with the big stuffed monkey... I had been cleaning up one of the bedrooms and came out to find Aidan had some company. You told me you gave him the monkey so he had a sleeping buddy. It's these little things, that might seem little I suppose, but really are the grandest & sweetest gestures.
From the brotherly hugs that you give, to just hanging out by their side, I know your brothers love you as much as you adore them.
The light that you shine on an every day basis - there's nothing typical about it in my eyes. It's extraordinary. You love in such an 'old soul' kind of way. And while your compassion runs deep, I know that the rambunctious kid in you is still just that... a kid.
And kids must have fun! And that you do! This has been an action packed year filled with new exciting things for you! You've experienced everything from your first bee-sting to your beginner snowboarding lesson.
Your first 4-wheeler & new racing gear!
(and heart attacks for Mama - eek!)
First time bowling!
Sleepovers with your cousin, Kaelor!
Little musician - Your first guitar!
Summer days at the Water Park & ice cream!!
You've been asking for a mohawk for 2 years now...
The baby hair is gone (wah!)
Little kid haircuts nowadays!
Preschooler!
Learning to write!
(I Love You, Too!)
Insisting on dressing yourself!
Your wacky, funny side!!
Your smile is contagious & your sweetness is neverending. There is no such thing as a bad day when I have you around, Cole. My sunshine boy! I am incredibly lucky to have you as my son. I always look back at your past year, on each birthday, and am filled with wishes & hopes that I've done my very best for you & that you go into your new year (5!!) feeling so very loved.
Happy 5th birthday, Cole!
I love you to the stars & back!
I love you to the stars & back!




No comments:
Post a Comment