Monday, September 28, 2009

Family of 4 - How Are We Doing?

We are slowly adjusting to being a 'family of four'. Key word is slowly. Even so it seems the days are flying by so fast!


So how is little Ty doing?

He continues to feed very well! At night he is very demanding and whiny - Jason and I say he sounds like a little lost kitten making teeny tiny meow sounds. He always wants Mommy to hold him, and he wants to eat about every 20 minutes. I basically become the human pacifier at night. During the day, Ty just loves to sleep. Yes, he has his days and nights mixed up. In the morning, after Jason goes to work, me and the boys just stay in bed. Sometimes we stay in bed until after noon. The boys usually jibber jabber back and forth while I try to cat nap! (Thus needing the ear plugs every now and then).



1 Day Old



2 Days Old



3 Days Old



Aidan 14 Months and Ty 4 Days Old

Ty LOVES to be held. He hates to lie on his back (probably because he has reflux). He handles tummy time well. When Aidan's physical therapist comes once a week, she also does a little work with Ty. We will formally get him enrolled in therapy soon! We are looking to see how his vision is, because Aidan has yet to really focus on anything or track anything. We know for sure that Ty reacts to light and sound - but we will experiment more with how much he can see and such in the coming weeks.



5 Days Old



1 Week Old



1 Week Old

First official sponge bath at home was on Saturday...Yes, I know it took us awhile to technically get him all scrubbed up. But hey - I barely get a shower myself! He is now officially on Aidan's bath time schedule :)



8 Days Old



After his first sponge bath.

Ty's belly button fell off on Sunday, when he was 9 days old. Seems so soon, but hey - I guess he is a fast healer?



10 Days Old

Ty's little seizures/movements are about the same as they have been since birth. They still aren't as frequent or severe as Aidan's, but they are definitely obvious. Nonetheless, he is a little trooper! He is coasting through the days like a champ!

My goal is to post videos SOON - videos of the boys together, of Ty's seizures, and of Ty just being cute!

How is Aidan? Does he know he has a little brother around the house now?



Stretching after nap time!

I am not sure if Aidan realizes quite yet that there is another little body in the house. Ty is still so small, so their interaction is very limited still. When Aidan does hold Ty, Aidan gets really calm and they basically melt into each others arms. It is the sweetest thing! I am sure Aidan is starting to pick up on the late night screams and little kitty noises that Ty makes. It will be so interesting to see their interactions change as Ty gets bigger!

How are we doing as parents?

Well, I am beyond tired. But everyday gets a tiny bit easier. It is all a matter of catching up on things around the house and getting to know the newest little member of our family, while at the same time trying to keep Aidan's schedule the same. I am on the phone A LOT with many different doctors and benefit specialists, and to be honest I am getting no where when it comes to benefits or help for Ty?! Are we the only family with 2 special little kiddos and NO respite care?! Yep.



Ty 3 Days Old - Look how "alive" I look haha!



Ty 5 Days Old

Jason continues to work hard as usual. Up at the crack of dawn, and by the time he comes home we rush to get Aidan's meds and bedtime done, sometimes baths - all while trying to feed ourselves and have a moment to do laundry, dishes, breathe...
I have to say I am so proud of Jason because he has made some awesome advances and accomplishments at his job! So yay for that!! One bummer though - Jason is back in school (his 3rd year!), so some weekends he has class for 8 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. It makes my week even longer here at home with the boys, and his week even longer because he is never at home :(



Ty 2 Days Old



Ty 9 Days Old

Our 2 year anniversary is coming up next week (already?!) and I am hoping by then things will have calmed down even more so we can get a tiny moment of alone time. Or at least a chance to catch our breath.

Phew - well, that is what is up with us as a quad - family of four. A big adjustment, but a welcome one. We are loving getting to know Ty and incorporating him into our home.

We are still appreciating all the support, messages and visits (although I often don't hear the visitors at my door because we are in my room catching up on sleep). Thank you to everyone who checks in with us and wants to know how we are all doing!!

11 comments:

Kellie (a.k.a craftyk) said...

He tellinghuisen family. i found your blog through the boltes blog which i found through mckmama which i found through...you get my drift :0)

Your boys are precious, they look happy and content. we are praying for you and your family at this really busy/trying time for you.

I have a daughter with "special needs". she was born with a craniofacial syndrome. I noticed in your last entry you mention these "kitten like meows" ty makes. a friend of mine has a little girl with cri du chat. she was diagnosed only when a doctor passing by in the hospital heard her make these kitten like meows. Just wanted to pass that along. I am not really familier with the disorders your boys have, but when i seen you mention it twice i felt i needed to say something. hope i did not offend you.

Keep strong! You must be an awesome mom/person to handle all this with such grace

malibukat said...

our niece has twins with severe disabilities and she strggles constantly for benefits. they act like only one needs services and are blind to the fact both do. keep fighting for your boys-if you don't no one else will. god bless.

KK said...

love the pic of your 3 men :)

Unknown said...

Hi precious family! I'm Susie - a friend sent by way of Kristy Bolte. My boy Joshua had an encephalocele - a neural tube defect somewhere between anencephaly, microcephaly, and spina bifida. He spent 67 days with us.

Your boys are absolutely precious! So beautiful to see Aidan holding Ty - awesome! I came to an understanding when we had Joshua with us that even if he didn't "see" me, his spirit recognised mine. He knew me... I loved that. I'm sure that Aidan and Ty know each other.

Really hoping that you get some help for both boys - so frustrating that you haven't got help right now! Hope you can get more sleep! Any chance someone can come sit with them so you can get an hour or two uninterrupted? Just a (probably unhelpful, but well meant) thought.

Donna said...

Hi,
I left you a email message and pictures in your hotmail account. My son who is now 17 has a small head also. His head was 12cm at birth. I had a virus in my first trimester it got to him and stopped the growth of brain for 3-5weeks. Now that he is 17 we are going to do a genic blood test to make sure this is still true since our older son may want children some day. Back 17years ago they did not have the testing like they have today.
Feel free to ask any questions!
Take Care

Jennifer said...

I am a new reader - I found you through a series of links the day Ty was born. I just wanted to peek in and say that both your boys are absolutely gorgeous, and you have a beautiful family.

I love the pictures of the boys together. The love you have for both of them spills through your words in every single post and is an amazingly uplifting thing. Thank you for sharing your special little guys with the world. They, and your family are in my prayers.

marisa mcinnes said...

hello steph glad you and the boys are well understandably hectic mind xxxx isnt ty growing so fast such a big boy already and aidan well what can you say about the most handsome boy ever he just gets better looking every day xxxx the pics of aidan and ty together are lush big bro snuggling lil bro priceless xxxx miss chatting huni xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

boltefamily said...

Thanks for the update! I love checking in and seeing sweet pictures of those amazing boys! I can only imagine how hard this is and yet how blessed you feel. I am praying for all of you. I just know God is going to use your family in a MIGHTY way, and I cannot wait to see how. He has trusted you with two incredible gifts!

Anonymous said...

I SO BAD want to help you get some respite, girl -- family isn't enough. You need some time away! TRUST ME! I JUST got respite for Claire & Lola after 5 years of doing ALL BY MYSELF (with Scott). It's SUCH a relief. We're approved for 30 hours a week (but that is only for Claire... working on getting more for Lola) -- but only using about 10 of that.

Just hard to find people you trust to take care of them as well as you & J would. Hang in there... it DOES get easier. It won't always be this hard!!!

You blow my mind, girl -- it's just so nice to have met someone else who lives this daily -- who gets FULLY what I experience, the difficulties, how much you GIVE-GIVE-GIVE & all the joys you receive in these amazing children.

Wish you lived next door.

Love you, girl..

xo Gwen & the KS dwarves!

Anonymous said...

I recently found your blog through the Bolte family blog. You have such a wonderful family. I have been so impressed with how you are handling the challenges of two special children. You can tell they are thriving! I really hope you can get some respite help so that you can take care of yourself as well. Hang in there Mama!

Brookeanne said...

Wondering how things are going with those adorable boys :)

All the best,
Brookeanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...